Monday, December 3, 2007

1st day of school

Today was Eli's first day of school and my first day back to work officially in the office. Last night was busy preparing everything for today. This morning, we did really well getting up and all of us showered, fed and dressed to go out the door......and, that's when it got hard. My truck was probably in the driveway running for 10 minutes before we made it out of the house. I wasn't sure how I would react to this but I have to admit, I cried. I cried some at home before we left and that made it hard to leave. I know going to school is the best thing for Eli as he needs the social interaction and I need the satisfaction of work but that didn't make it any easier. Today's 8 hours was the longest I've been away from him since he was born. Tim went with me to drop Eli off this morning to learn the system / routine and also to lend some moral support. I cried again when we left - I think I felt guilty for leaving him there. (It was, however, nice today to go to the bathroom at work and know that he wasn't going to scream for me.) I called the school mid-day to see how he was doing and he was doing well but didn't eat all of his first bottle. He did however eat his lunchtime bottle and they were feeding him at 3:30pm when I arrived to pick him up. Once I walked in the classroom and he saw me, he didn't care about his bottle any more. He just smiled and that made my heart melt. He didn't forget me during the day and he still loves me. That felt great. The teachers in his classroom are awesome. They're so sweet and just love the babies. They were all set up for Eli this morning and he was the first one to arrive. They also left us notes on his papers about how his day went. He had a wonderful first day and, in his own special way, he told me that he's ok with going back tomorrow. It's another big change in our house but we'll figure it all out and we'll just keep being happy.

Such a cute big boy

Mommy & Eli before school

At my new school

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear it was so hard. It's funny, but I didn't cry when I first dropped off SDS at 3 months. I felt kind of glad to have a break, actually. But....as she has begun to grow into a person...it has gotten harder and harder and harder and harder and HARDER. Now, I dread Mondays and love Fridays. But not for the traditional reasons. I just know it'll be 5 long days before I get to spend one long day with my baby again.

    ReplyDelete