Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Eve

Breaking down our Christmas activities in several posts so it's more manageable for me to upload and for you to read. =)

Christmas Eve was a wonderfully busy day. I started cooking in the kitchen at 7am for our family dinner. This year I was trying to cook everything myself and give my Mom a well deserved break - she always cooks for the holidays. I'm going to try to narrate our day through pictures.

The boys were very excited to eat the last chocolate out of their advent calendars (the best $2.99 I've ever spent!). They loved having one small piece a day and it helped them understand when Santa was coming.
They even learned that after you pull off the tab, if you shake the calendar, the chocolate would fall into your hand. Amazing what you can learn when prompted by sugar.
Eli helped me bake a red velvet cake. (side note: it turned out FANTASTIC if I do say so myself!)
Cole wanted to help me peel potatoes - making the most scrumptious mashed potatoes I've ever made. I tried out lots of new recipes this year and thankfully they were all yummy.
Mommy & Cole. I've learned to let the boys be involved when they want to and that even if it takes me longer to do something, it will be fun. Often times messy but almost always fun.
Homemade cream cheese icing on my homemade red velvet cake - did I tell you yet that it was YUM?!
My parents arrived just at lunch time and I let the boys open some of their gifts from their buddies. This year I split up the gift opening for them and it worked out marvelous. They didn't get overwhelmed and they were able to enjoy each gift. In this picture, my friend Kara made them each a t-shirt that had a tie on it. They matched - it was the cutest. Can't wait to send them to school in them.
Tim went to check on Eli during nap time and found him on the floor outside his room snuggled with his blanket.
Cole in the kitchen being silly - he kept flinging the cup lid around by the straw.
More silliness - I think Cole thinks he has to keep up with his brother in the silly department.
Family dinner - it was great! 8 of us (me, Tim, the boys, my Mom & Dad and my brother and his fiancee Niki - YES I SAID FIANCEE!!! He proposed before he came to our house.). Dinner was turkey, ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, homemade mac and cheese and rolls. It was so nice having everyone sit down together for a meal.
After dinner we let the boys open their gifts from Grandma / Grandpa and Uncle Billy / Miss Niki. We figured that way Christmas morning could be all about Santa and not compete. This is a super cute shirt my Mom found Eli. She does so great finding them cute clothes. Cole's sweatshirt said "Big Attitude in a Little Shirt".
Eli loved watching Tow Mater's Tall Tales. I think we all did!
Cole did a pretty good job opening presents. Once he found a place to tear, he was good to go.
He got a play-doh farm kit. So cute. There's a tractor and little cutters to help make animals. I know this will get lots of use.
Eli was chomping to open the BIG present from Uncle Billy & Miss Niki.
Ripping into them.
Eli was very particular that every piece of paper had to be off the gift and Cole started taking after him. I have pictures later to post that show these were the coolest pillow pals ever. Cole's was a red/white/blue puppy dog and Eli's was a moose. They're so soft and snuggly and the boys have been carrying them around the house.
We also let them open their REI boxes from Aunt Cary in Colorado. Nothing bad comes in an REI box, especially these boxes. The boys got some great cold weather gear!
Cole showing Pop Pop his pillow pal.
Billy and Niki - my future sister-in-law! I'm so excited for them. Tim & I knew about a month ago but couldn't tell. My little brother is growing up. =)
Grandma & Cole
After dinner and presents, Cole began a little indoor marathon. He'd run from the living room to the kitchen, touch the frig and run back. I can't even tell you how many times he did it but it was so funny and actually got some energy out so that was good.
Oh my goodness, the cuteness! I have discovered that Cole's response to being told no is to look at you, be cute and do it again. He wasn't in any trouble here, just showing me his cuteness.
Eli left Santa some cookies and milk. I wrote Santa's note for him but he signed his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment