Sunday, May 20, 2012

Tri-Mommy

Yesterday I was a Warrior, today a Ramblin' Rose! I did the Ramblin' Rose triathlon again this year. It was a little tougher after the race yesterday but fun nonetheless. I had the privilege of participating (I would say racing but I'm not very fast) with some of my friends who became triathletes today. It was their first one! 

I got up before 6am so that Amy (my neighbor) and I could leave by 6:30. I had packed my stuff last night - amazing I forgot how much stuff you have to take! - and was ready to go when she walked over about 6:15. We had to do a little work on her bike and we were on our way. We quickly found another friend (and Primrose Mom!) Julie and we all headed to the race site together. Got my numbers, body marking, chip and it was time to set up. Before the pre-race meeting, I had a surprise visitor - Tim came to watch all of us! My Mom stayed home with the boys and Tim was able to enjoy the event, take pictures and cheer for us. Always awesome to have him there!

We were all in the same swim group. At first I was very nervous and refused to swim in front of one of them but Amy convinced me that it would be just like a practice swim. And she was right! While I still swam hard and had to single side breathe, it was not nearly as nerve wracking as last year when I thought someone was going to just swim over me. Out of the water, ran into the transition area (I got a terrible spot AGAIN this year) and into bike gear. I very much enjoyed the bike course and felt like I was doing great. I just knew I did better than last year. Then......the run. I used to be a good runner, well at least a decent runner who had plenty of endurance. Not so much now. I managed to jog / walk my way through the run and finished the race in 1:13:25. When I finished, I thought I was 2 minutes faster than last year but later looked it up and was disappointed to see I was 3 minutes slower than last year. Oh well, last year I didn't do a Warrior Dash the day before! 

Amy, Julie and another friend Megan were right on my tail and we all finished just minutes apart. It was so much fun to be there for their first triathlon and participate alongside them. Ladies you did great and I'm so glad I was there!! You are not just triathletes, you're TRI-MOMMIES!!

My times: 
Swim - 225 yards - 5:30 (exact same as last year)
Transition 1 - 2:06
Bike - 9 miles - 38:40 (about 10 seconds slower)
Transition 2 - 2:31 (not sure what happened there!)
Run - 2 miles - 24:40 (slower than last year)

Tri-Mommies, L to R: Megan, Julie, Amy, Evia


Me & Amy - post race wearing our cute finisher's necklaces
Me & HB - hopefully one day he'll be Tri-Daddy (he keeps talking about it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment