Monday, October 12, 2009

Off to school, Back to work

Here we go....today was Cole's first day of school and my first day back to work. The day did not start as desired when both boys were up by 5:30am. Last week, Eli slept until 6:30 and Cole until 6:45 but not this week. I think they knew something was up! We managed to get everyone clean / showered, fed, changed and out the door at 7:45. Our goal is to make it to 7:15 so Tim & I can both get to work at a respectable time. This week, it's all about just getting out!

On the drive to school, Eli gave Cole some big brother words of encouragement telling him that school is fun and that the teachers are nice. It was so sweet.

We first took Eli to his classroom. He washed his hands and then ran around like a crazy boy. He was happy to see his friends - you know to a 2 year old, the weekend is an eternity! Then it was across the hall to move Cole into his room. It felt like moving in with all the clothing changes and diapers I took. We met one of his teachers last week and the other one this morning. They both seem very sweet and we've heard great things about them. I put Cole in a bouncy seat and after a period of talking and kisses on the head, Tim shuttled me out of the classroom and reminded me I had to go to work.

When I arrived on the jobsite, it was like I never left - definitely didn't feel like I had been home for 14 weeks. Where did all that time go?! I had a great day catching up with my team and having some adult conversations. I admit I missed Cole. I had a lot of people ask me how it felt to be back. I didn't have a strong feeling either way (happy or sad) but that it was necessary.

Cole apparently had a great day at school. His daily sheet said "Cole had a great first day! He liked getting to know his friends and teachers, having some tummy time, reading stories and looking in the mirror. Have a good night!". He apparently checked out every area in the room except the exersaucer (he'll be there soon enough!). Looks like he took some good naps but he didn't eat much at all. The teachers were concerned that he only ate 5-1/2 ounces all day and it worries me some. I'm hoping that it's just an adjustment period and he'll start eating more - I know he won't let himself starve.

Tonight was hard. I think both boys were very tired but didn't want to go to sleep. Cole ate a whole lot and then proceeded to spit it all back up on me.........joy. Finally did bath, read a book and had some bottle that he kept down. I snuggled with him for quite a bit and realized how much I missed it today. It's an adjustment period for me too. Once we got home tonight, Cole watched everything I did and wanted to hear my voice. He seemed to love our snuggling as much as I did. I hope that he will have a good night's sleep to ready him for his 2nd day of school. I hope Tim & I get some sleep too, another day of organized chaos tomorrow.

Loving on Daddy before getting ready this morning
I love Mommy (and Mommy loves me!)
My two sweet boys before school
Hanging at school
This is my world during the day - my construction site, photo 1
photo 2 - tower crane will go up in this location this weekend
Tonight at dinner. We were cracking up because Eli was literally "cutting the cheese". He was all smiling and saying "cheese" as well. Love that big smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment