Thursday, December 18, 2014

Gingerbread Pirates, 2nd Grade Style

Today I volunteered in Eli's class to do a Seasonal Craft. We LOVE the Gingerbread Pirates in our house so being the Nerdy Mom that I am, I decided to combine reading a book with a quiz and a craft. The first thing we did was get all the kids together and I read the book 'Gingerbread Pirates'. I wore my own little Pirate hat (did I say Nerd yet?!) and then asked them a few questions about the book. It was a good way to get them to pay attention but also to reinforce the educational side. Reading, Comprehension and Answering questions. After reading, each child was able to make their own Gingerbread Pirate with a little kit I had made them - brown foam gingerbread man, pipe cleaners and some other colored foam pieces. It was really fun to see what the kids created. I think they really enjoyed it! 




Eli loved having me in his class. 
Holding a balloon
A really good version of the Peg Leg Pirate




I loved them all! 
I also had activity sheets to go with the story. 


These were my "example" pirates. It is definitely more fun to make them in real cookie form but these were fun. I really think the students enjoyed our seasonal activity. It was a lot of fun for this Nerdy Crafty Mom too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment