Saturday, May 17, 2014

Warrior Dash 2014


Warning.....VERY picture heavy post.....because that's how I roll. =)

What a wonderfully muddy fun day!! Today Tim and I went down to Huntersville (again - remember this) to do the Warrior Dash. Birthday suffering and Mommy & Daddy having some fun! We were also very excited to do this with my MOM and her friends. YES - I have the coolest Mom!! Last time, Mom/Grandma kept the boys so we could go participate. This time, Ms. Jamyra came to stay with the boys. She arrived at our house just before 6am (aren't we awful babysitting customers?!!) and we hit the road. We were supposed to start our "Dash" at 9:15am and after reading how our timing was 2 years ago, I thought we'd be good to go. I also forgot that we went off at 10am last time (why did I think 9am when I registered?!).

It was once again a lovely quiet drive sans kiddos. We were pretty hungry right off the bat so stopped at Chick-Fil-A at Southpoint. They, unfortunately didn't open until 6:30am - we were only a minute or so early so we were the first ones to be served. =) It was a happy moment when the lights came on. Back on the road, I started getting a little nervous as we got closer that we weren't going to be on time. Somehow, it took us longer to get down there. As time went by, I told Tim that it was taking all I had not to be freaking out - I'm SO that person that must be on time. We pulled into the parking lot at 9am and were standing in a long check in line at 9:12am. Obviously we weren't starting with our 9:15 group. This year they made a change in groups and did 250 people every 15 minutes instead of 500 people every 30 minutes. It was a great change as there weren't so many people waiting for obstacles. We were still standing in line when my Mom and friends went off at their 9:30am slot. It was so fun to watch them and I was/am quite proud that they wanted to do it. Tim and I got our numbers, shirts and warrior hats and made it to the 9:45am start. I hoped that we would be able to catch Mom and thought that seeing her on the course was a much better arrangement than us starting before them - being late worked out great! I made it a goal to catch them within 30 minutes of starting and I think we were just shy of that. The course was a lot different and more "friendly" than before. For starters, you didn't have to run a mile to the 1st obstacle. It also seemed to be a much more laid back atmosphere than the first time we did it. I gave up on all ideas of a finish "time" and had a blast. I really do enjoy doing silly stuff like this with Tim. He's always supportive and likes to have fun.

I took a few pictures before the start of the Dash once we found Mom. Our nice and clean "before" shots.   
Me and My Mom
 (L-R) Mom, Jan, Cindy and Taylor (Cindy's daughter)
 Um yea, we missed the 9:15 start.....view from check in line.
And off they go, 9:30 group - woo hoo!!


A little pre-dash, pre-mud selfie. Love my HB!


And then we jumped into the 9:45am group. Tim and I made an effort driving home to remember/list all of the obstacles. He is much better at that stuff than I am (boy can remember every tree/branch/turn/rock on a trail - it's amazing!) but together we did it. I also found some pictures of the obstacles on Warrior Dash's Facebook page so you can see what we all did. Remember....my Mom and her friends did all of these too! You can also check out obstacles on the Warrior Dash website.


1st obstacle: Road Rage. You had to climb over cars and tires.


They had photographers there. LOVE this shot of Mom and Cindy.

2nd obstacle: Shocktop Unfiltered. Climb over two walls and do a bear crawl. 


3rd obstacle: Two x Fall. Balance beam walk, climb over wall, balance beam walk, climb over wall.

4th obstacle: Couldn't find a picture of this one. We had to go under barbed wire and through mud.

5th obstacle: Mortimer's Crossing. A triangle rope bridge to cross over a creek / valley.

6th obstacle: Dead Man's Drop - it was just before here that we caught up with Mom and her crew. I saw her ahead and yelled "Who's the most amazing Mom in the Universe? That's you Kathie!!". It was fun to catch them and take a few pictures with Mom's disposable camera. We also were with them at Dead Man's Drop. It was a tough obstacle! Just a stock photo to show the obstacle. 

7th obstacle: Warrior Peak (I called it the Grape Nuts wall). it was a steep slope ramp with ropes that you climbed up and then down the backside. Just a stock photo to show the obstacle. 

8th obstacle: Swamp crossing. Not sure if this is really an obstacle but it was muddy and tough to get through. I about lost my shoe! Thorugh a section of water and then up a steep muddy bank.

9th obstacle: Barricade Breakdown. You had to go over wall then under barbed wire - three times in a row. Just a stock photo to show the obstacle. 

10th obstacle: Horizontal cargo nets. You had to traverse three sections of cargo nets. Harder to go horizontally than just up!

11th obstacle: Warrior Roast. Fire jump near the end.

12th obstacle: Goliath - oh my. The coolest funnest obstacle ever! You went up a cargo net, down a section of cargo net to a platform. Then you had to cross a balance beam with water spraying on you. There were two little rope "handrails" for you to hold on to. Lose your balance......boom, right into a mud pit. Not sure if anyone actually did fall in but it was a possibility! Then up a wood ladder to the top of TWO cargo containers. Up there was the top of the slide. I was all excited having fun and I think my mind left me. I went in the CENTER of the slides and listened to the guy when he said "Cross your arms over your chest and go". That made me go super fast down the slide and I landed in the deepest part of the water butt up / legs in the air and COMPLETELY went under the muddy water. I disappeared for a few seconds. Popped back up with a muddy face and I couldn't wipe my eyes. My eyelashes were getting mud crusty! 


Yes we are!
This is the best picture to show the obstacle. 



13th obstacle: Muddy Mayhem. The final mud pit just before the finish line. Just like before, you had to crawl under barbed wire through mud and then into a mud pit - muddy water, muddy bottom and make your way to the finish line. Tim & I both chose to stand up and you'd be walking along and BOOM, you'd fall into a hole. Seriously! All of a sudden, you'd be deeper in muddy water. Some people were crawling and that made for a face first in the mud adventure. Once we got through the mud pit, it was a one more muddy hill to the finish line. SO MUCH FUN! A medal and a lot of mud as our reward. Tim went to get cleaned up a bit when we finished but I was worried I'd miss Mom and her girls coming through. I was so excited when I saw them. 




















Still smiling!!!






Through the barbed wire....
and into the mud pit. 
Unfortunately Mom was one of the crawlers - and found a hole. Notice super muddy face. 




YAY MOM!!!




I am so crazy proud of my Mom. She did awesome and I love that she's doing fun stuff like this! And she's already talking about NEXT YEAR. =) 






I LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture. It's going in a frame on the wall!






We all earned our medals. 




My Warrior Man - he enjoyed his birthday suffering. More fun than suffering though! 


Definitely a future Warrior!
Oh my Cole-man, you crack me up. 

And while we were having our muddy fun, the boys had an awesome day with Ms. Jamyra - they went to Three Bear Acres and out to Chick-fil-a. They didn't miss us at all! Pictures from their day in our weekly wrap up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment