Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Busy weekend - Grandparents + a triathlon

Whew, time to take a breath from the weekend! We had a great weekend with Grandpa & Grandma N coming to visit. Let me start from the "beginning" of the weekend.

Tim took Friday off work since he took Thursday off for his birthday and we went on a matinee movie date Friday afternoon - we saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. It was actually pretty good and I thought much more entertaining than the previous release. We picked up the boys early from school and played until Grandpa & Grandma arrived. We enjoyed a nice dinner and more wild and crazy antics of Eli & Cole.

Saturday morning, I did a quick trip to the Y while everyone else hung out at home and then Grandma & I took the boys to the library and playground - Tim & Grandpa went to test drive a few cars. Grandma & I enjoyed a nice picnic at home with the boys before we got them down for naps. The afternoon was a play-a-pooloza and the boys had a blast. We had a nice cookout for dinner and then survived until bed time. =)

Sunday morning I did a short local triathlon. Tim & I left about 6:30am and Grandma & Grandpa watched the boys while we were gone. Much easier for us to go alone than try to handle them there. Thanks Grandma & Grandpa!! The triathlon I did was a Women's only short triathlon and the atmosphere was great. It was a 225 yard swim, 9 mile bike and 2 mile run. There were SO many participants and women of all shapes, sizes and ages. It was a celebration of being female and of being active. Now I must admit, I'm not a fan of short races since I'm more of a tortoise than a hare, but this one was totally worth it. So the swim - cold, short distance, intense with so many women in the pool lane at one time. Bike - awesome! I passed so many others and only got passed by a few. Run - well, it was something like a run. I did run some. I walked a lot. But it was no big deal. I had fun. I had predicted my times before the race (I always have to have a plan). I figured that I was capable of 1:12:30 and that if I was having the most amazingly perfect day that I could do 1:09:45. Well, I did 1:10:30!!!! Only 45 seconds off of what I would have considered a perfect day. It was great. Tim was there taking pictures and cheering for me (he has not missed a single event I've done since we started dating. He's such a great support.) and my friend Kara surprised me by coming out to cheer. Again, it was great! And they gave us the cutest charms on a pink cord as a necklace / medal for finishing. I had already signed up for another one in October so I'm excited for that. I'm pondering something longer at some point this year - but am also wondering if I'm crazy!! (Wednesday night correction: I found out my official time was 1:10:35 - but I'm still happy!!)

After the race, Tim's mom & I did a little shopping together (fabric stores - YUM! Found some great fabrics to do some more sewing.) before she & Grandpa left to head home. We had a great visit and enjoyed seeing them. Hopefully the boys didn't tire them out too much. They do that to us on a daily basis!!

Now, the best part, random pictures of our weekend.

Eli is not usually a hat person but took to wearing Grandpa's hat.
Running around playing chase with Grandma.
Action shot.
Cole had fun playing too.
Choosing library books with Grandma.
At the playground, my little monkey.
This little thing was fun
It would twirl you around and around with very little effort. DIZZY!
Cole wanted to give it a try.
Eli is really good on his balance bike. He has now moved on to practicing stunts.
"Look Mommy, beans!"
Our happy little garden.
Eli looking for "good lucks". That's what he calls 4-leaf clovers. I grew up constantly looking for them, now Eli & I do it together. =)
A cool plant near our garden. Tim found out that the common name for it is 'Red Hot Poker'.
Grandpa did some work while he was here - chipping up our piles of sticks.
Grandma & Cole
Eli wore his earmuffs while Grandpa ran the chipper and was being silly.
This face cracks me up!
And this face is just so sweet!
Testing out my new camera - panorama of the triathlon transition area.
My little spot
Pre-race, my wonderfully supportive husband.
This was the swim to bike transition.
Finish Line!
Triathlon Mommy!
Eli & Cole searching for lady bugs under Grandpa's supervision.
Silly brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment