Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cole's birthday celebration

We had a great time this weekend celebrating Baby Cole's 1st birthday. Since his birthday falls on a holiday, we opted to have his party this weekend. The party theme was an easy one - red, white, blue and lots of stars. We even asked party guests to wear the theme colors. Last week, I had an unplanned helper for the party preparations. Eli woke up on Tuesday morning with Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. I had never seen it before but knew it when I saw it. We had Cole's 1 year check already scheduled for Tuesday so Eli tagged along and the doctor confirmed my suspicion. I had taken the week off work to clean around the house and prepare for the party so Eli ended up being my shadow for the week. We did have fun hanging together for the most part but he was pretty miserable with sores in his mouth so I spent a lot of time trying to comfort him and make him feel better. He helped me make cupcakes and sugar cookies. And in hindsight, it was nice to have some time alone with him. He doesn't get undivided attention when both he & Cole are home. He can drive me crazy but funny thing, as I commented to Tim, Eli is like a 3-year old version of me.....and he totally is! I think that's why we can get along great and he can get on my nerves all at the same time.

Cole's party was Saturday morning and lots of our friends and family came over to celebrate our sweet little boy. It was almost like a party for Eli because our friends also have kids Eli's age so the toddlers and the babies had fun playing together. I loved having all the kids happily playing in the back yard - happily the great word there. I remember some crying here and there when someone fell or got a boo boo but the kids got along great. They played in the bounce house and on the swingset. We had a cookout and everyone enjoyed burgers and chips, we even made sliders for the kids! After playing and eating, we all sang Happy Birthday to Cole and watched him dive into and devour his cupcake. He loved it! A much different reaction than actually on his birthday when he wasn't too interested in the cupcake. He then took a shot at a sugar cookie. He's totally got a sweet tooth, definitely my son! After everyone ate their cupcakes, we let Cole tear into his birthday gifts. He got so many wonderful things from his friends. I'm having to remind Eli that the gifts are Baby Cole's and not his. He was VERY interested in Cole's gifts.

We hope that all the kids who came had fun and took good naps that afternoon for their parents. Eli and Cole took decent naps, nothing stellar but enough to get them through to bed time. Tim & I enjoyed a little more time with our families before my folks headed home. Tim's parents spent the weekend with us. It was so great having both of them here and having their help.

I had a great time planning Cole's party. I love making birthdays special for my boys. I know Cole will totally remember his 1st birthday party and still be talking about it when he's 30! (ha ha ha - I really do know that he won't remember it!)

Goodie bags for all the party kids - keeping with the star theme
My 1st attempt at decorating sugar cookies - I was quite pleased.
Table set up - red / white / blue and stars everywhere
More of my cookies - now I have the fever to make and decorate more!
Had to include his birthday banner.
Owen, Noah & Eli flopping around in the bounce house.
Two buds back together, sharing cheetos.
Eli, Noah & Evan - Eli's buddy from school.
A great picture of Robin & Kylie (Noah's mom & sister)
Sweet Baby Faye - Owen's sister. Love the Wonder Woman shirt.
Cole and his peeps - Jack and Kylie
can't beat a cheeto
the swingset got quite a workout.
Eli & Matthew eating watermelon - they were so cute. Such big boys.
Cupcake table.
Close up - I love the cupcake toppers.
Family photo
Cole really loved the icing.
love messy face pictures
He did a great job of devouring his cupcake.
I love my little boy!
Y-U-M!
Eli and all the other kids (and adults) enjoyed cupcakes too.
Grandma & Grandpa C
Noah gave Eli a big brother gift. Eli loved it and they hugged after he opened it. I am a sucker for cute little boy pictures!!!
Here's Jack - one of Cole's buds at school.
and Jack's brother, Matthew - he & Eli used to be in class together.
Noah, rocking his star gear.
Sarah, so sweet in stars!
Uncle Mike & Aunt Mary - I love this picture.
Cole got some Monster Trucks of his own. I've had to come up with a color coding scheme to keep his and Eli's identified. Cole's now have red nail polish on the bottom (Thanks Millie Mom for the idea!)
a super cute bear backpack from some of our neighbors
fun with hats!
Cole got a great stainless bottle and hat from Aunt Cary. He loves the bottle.
Peek-a-boo. Cole was so happy all day and had a great time at his party.
My brother and his girlfriend were pooped from all the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment