Saturday, May 8, 2010

Meeting Pioneer Woman

Last night, I met The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond. She was doing a cookbook signing in Charlotte and I drove down to meet her and get my cookbook signed. It was a great treat that my Mom also came to meet me there. It was the start of my special Mother's Day weekend.

So I got to the bookstore at 3:30pm to get our "line tickets" and we were the last two in Group J - 20 people per group. That meant numbers 199 and 200! Crazy!!! Mom & I walked around the mall a bit and then went to hang out at the bookstore. While we were just standing around with 500 other women (and a few boyfriends / husbands drug along for the ride), Ree arrived and walked RIGHT by me. I turned around and there she was. I was so star struck! For those of you that don't know her, Ree is an ex-city girl that married a rancher and now lives in Oklahoma on a working cattle ranch. When I read her blog, I imagine being on a ranch and wonder if I could handle life like that. Some days I think it would be fun, other days I don't know how she does it.

At 6pm, Ree stood at the store's balcony and talked to the audience. There was a Q&A time where questions were drawn from those submitted and Ree answered them all. She seems like such a genuinely nice person that you'd like to have as a friend. She talked for about 20 minutes and then at 6:30pm, they started calling groups - VIP 1, VIP 2, then starting at A. Finally 2 hours later, it was time for our line group (and we even saw some people as far down as "S"). Ree spoke to every single person who came by, signed hundreds and hundreds of books and was sweet to all of us. When I sat down with her, I asked her if she had any advice for me raising 2 crazy boys (she has 4 kids, 2 boys / 2 girls and nicknames them all "punks" - lovingly so). She asked me how far apart they are, just laughed at my response (22-1/2 months) and wished me Good luck. We took a few photos with her and then our time was up.

This was my first book signing and I'm glad I got to share it with my Mom. And it was so much fun to meet The Pioneer Woman herself. I was worried about driving to Charlotte and back in the same day but it worked out ok. I got home a little after midnight and guess what I found.......FLOWERS! A perfect start to the weekend - Tim did great with the boys; they all survived the night alone and I was happily home.

Talking to the crowd
Me and Ree - yes, we're best buds on a first name basis now. =)
Me, my Mom and Ree

Beautiful flowers - such a wonderful surprise

No comments:

Post a Comment