Sunday, July 22, 2007

The end of a very busy week

Whew - there were times this week where I wondered if I'd get through everything we had going on. Obviously I haven't had time to write so we'll do a quick week recap.

Work was very busy. For some reason I THOUGHT I was getting everything under control before leaving but I had completely fooled myself. Things are crazy! My Superintendent is on vacation this week so trying to make sure progress continues while he's gone. I spend so much darn time in meetings, it's a wonder I ever get any work done. Each week I give Tim the run-down at the beginning of the week and he always asks me if anyone does any work or if we just meet all the time.

Monday was my birthday. Nothing too exciting but I did have a nice day. Tim surprised me with flowers - how can you not be happy with flowers?! I'm going to the spa this upcoming week for a facial - that should be fun, I've never had one before. I also received quite many phone calls, cards and generous gifts from friends and family. Of course, with everything else going on this year, my birthday just didn't seem as big of a deal to me so everyone else remembering was nice.

Wednesday night we had a breastfeeding class from 7-9:15pm. Very hard to sit through a class after working all day but it was actually a good class and we learned some stuff that will hopefully be helpful. The best thing was that the instructor was telling us all the things Dad can do to be involved, even though only Mom has the equipment. We had little babies to practice holding. Our baby looked like Mini-Yoda so Tim was cracking me up with comments. Stuff like "Feed me, you shall" and "Hungry I am" kept me laughing.

Thursday was my 34 week doctor's appt. I had a major weight jump over the past two week - like 7 pounds major!! Most of that is due to the fact that last weekend I lost all control over my body. I had done really well with not swelling until then. Now the rings are off, my hands swell every day and, as much as I denied it at first, my legs and ankles are now swelling. It's like I bloated up overnight. The doctor wasn't too concerned (oh yeah, I usually do morning appts and this one was after lunch) and I flat told her that I didn't care. I feel pretty good and am just adjusting to my body changes. She told me that this change is normal and that I'm now out of the cute graceful period of pregnancy and into the hard / uncomfortable stuff. My blood pressure was good and Eli's heartbeat was strong. It's always great to hear that little heartbeat. I am still measuring a week or so early so we'll see what happens when they start doing exams at my next appt. I'm now heading into the every week appts. Wow, this is flying by!

Saturday morning - I did the ultimate endurance exercise for a pregnant woman. My neighbor Kelley (who is almost 20 weeks pregnant) and I went to the Kids Exchange Consigment Sale at the State Fairgrounds. Oh my gosh - it was so overwhelming. There was so much stuff. I was mainly looking for some clothes for Eli for the transitional fall period because you can't really buy those clothes yet in the store. There was rows and rows of clothes. I only managed to get two rows completed and had quite many items. They have this sale every January and July so I focused primarily on things up to 6 months. I got some of the cutest things and several still had the tags on them! It was like a huge indoor yard sale - ok, so maybe not quite, it was a little higher priced than a yard sale but the quality of the items was good. Not only did they have clothes, there was furniture, bedding, toys, strollers, high chairs, car seats, you name it - if it was for a baby, it was there. Next time I hope to have my Mom come up and go with me because she has better shopping endurance than I do.

Yesterday afternoon was our last childbirth class - #3 of 3. This class talked about c-sections and how to care for your newborn. We talked about reasons for c-sections and pros and cons of them. Of course, everyone would rather have a vaginal delivery but that isn't always possible. At least medicine has evolved so that c-sections are available and fewer babies are lost due to complications. The section on taking care of your newborn was fun. We had our yoda-baby again and practiced changing diapers, bathing him and swaddling him.

After class, we were able to hook up with our friends Preston & Maria. We got a phone call from them this week that their new baby boy was at Rex and that they were in town. We were so excited to hear from them and were looking forward to meeting Thomas. Thomas was born about 6 weeks early so he was in the special care nursery. He is so precious and it was such a joy to watch Maria feeding him. We could not go in but we could watch through the window. He's still tiny, less than 7 pounds. It's amazing that he was due 15 days before Eli is due so Eli is about the same size as him and he's in my belly! We are so happy for Preston & Maria and their first son, Ray (who is now a big brother!!). Elijah & Thomas will be friends for sure - Tim & Preston have been friends since high school - and will enjoy many adventures together. I'm sure Ray will be there to either watch over them or teach them mischievous deeds!!

I finally got a decent night's sleep last night. A major accomplishment for me this week. I fell asleep on the couch and Tim asked me if I wanted to stay there. I was pretty comfy so I did. I think I got about 5 solid hours of uninterrupted sleep - it felt great!! About 5am, a doggie kiss woke me up so Belle could go outside. She slept in the living room with me so Tim had the bed all to himself!

This morning I did my Sunday morning swim. I only did a half mile but it felt so good to work my joints out. Now it's time to chill on the couch watching the Tour de France. So happy to end a hectic week and breathe before heading into the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment