Sunday, July 8, 2007

Childbirth Class #1

Hard to believe we're already at Childbirth classes. Yesterday was class #1 of 3. Items of discussion for class #1: Anatomy, Pain theory, Comfort measures, Birth bag, a Film and Medications.

Let's look at each of these.
Anatomy - it's absolutely amazing what the female body does to grow and birth a baby. I can't believe it's happening to me!
Pain theory - this is hard for me to grasp. I'd love to think that Elijah would come into the world, it'd be nice and peaceful with no pain. I know that's not going to happen.
Comfort measures - lots of things about moving around, changing positions, hot / cold compresses, massage, the birth ball. Sounds like anything is better than laying in the bed. I'm good with that because I don't sit still very well so just laying there waiting for pain is not my idea of fun.
Birth bag - the instructor talked to us about what to bring to the hospital. She suggested a separate bags for the labor / delivery room and the postpartum room. Sounds like a good idea - I'll probably try it. The one thing I'm worried about is the not eating part. I get pretty cranky after about 4 hours but supposedly once you're in labor you don't really get hungry. We'll see. She gave me a thumbs up for Gatorade or Powerade so Tim & I will probably look like we're doing a race or something when we show up with bottles of fluid!!
Film - we watched the Stages of Labor film. We saw something very similar when we took our hospital tour so that was no biggie.
Medications - this, of course, was a big topic. Most of the husbands in the room (there were 11 couples) didn't really seem to want their wives to suffer. But we all know it's going to happen. I'm very nervous about an epidural - you know, messing around at my spine and all - so will probably continue my original plan of see what I can do / handle. I'm neither anti-epidural nor super pro-epidural. I'm all about Elijah getting here and becoming a part of our family, however that has to happen.

I'm not quite sure what I imagined childbirth classes to be like. I just hope that we'll learn enough to know what's happening to my body and how to deal with it when the time comes. Tim & I have a philosophy about exercising. Whenever one of us doesn't want to go, we just remind the other how great it will feel when it's over. Our joke is that's how labor will be. It will be some pain but it will be marvelous when it's over!!

No comments:

Post a Comment