Sunday, January 18, 2015

Week Two: 1/12-1/18

Not as many pictures this week but a super fun busy week none-the-less. Our normal weeks have Karate (Cole) on Tues/Thur and swim lessons for both boys on Wednesday nights. Those are pretty much standard along with once-a-month Den and Pack meetings for Eli and Tim. We always pack lots of other fun stuff in too....oh yeah, and school! 

Wednesday night, the boys had a great swim practice. I realized I could totally be a swim mom. Hopefully one day I will be. =) After swim, State was playing basketball against UNC on ESPN. Super exciting! Coming off a win against Duke, we were very hopeful they'd pull off another one. As the great Mom that I am, I let Eli stay up late to watch the game with me. It was a nail biter but UNC pulled it out. During the game, they showed Vinny Del Negro in the crowds. I posted on Facebook that seeing him made my "middle school girl heart skip a beat". I had SUCH a crush on him when he played at NC State. I even made a stamped leather bracelet in shop class with him name on it. 
 Not kidding.....leather stamped bracelet with Vinny. <3
 Thursday night haircuts, Cole requested a "Cole-hawk". Tried to deliver...happy customer even though it's a short hawk. It's a start!!
 Packing Thursday night for the Trail Half Marathon. My Facebook post said it all..... "I am 100% positive this is not the smartest thing I've ever done but I'm too dang stubborn. Packing with the intention of still doing the trail half marathon this weekend. Dr is going to tape my ankle tomorrow for the race and hopefully that will carry me through. Fingers crossed!"

Friday afternoon, our Chiropractor taped my ankle up to help me make it through the race - he was not in favor of me running but, kinda like a parent, wanted to make sure I was the best prepared I could be if I was going to do it anyway. We headed out late Friday afternoon to my Mom's since we stayed the night there. Moe's for dinner on the way down and we made it an early bedtime. 

Saturday morning, up early! Tim and I headed out to the Charlotte Whitewater Center for the races. He did the 4 mile trail run and I did the 13.1 half-marathon. My cousin Allison also ran the half. She did AWESOME!! I think her finishing time was better than my road half marathons back in my real running days. It was a chilly morning to start but was nice once you got in the woods. I thought I was doing a pretty good job until I came across one aid station that told me I was only at the 6 mile mark. I did not believe them. I think I was coming up on 2 hours and I could have sworn that I was moving faster than that. Yikes!! I had been running / walking with another person and then found out he was only doing the 9 miler. Had to leave him and get on with it! I continued along my way - never saw Tim but I think he had a good race. He did his 4 miles in 51:24, finishing 16th in his age group and 283/563 (almost top half!) of all finishers. Somewhere during my race, can't remember where, my fear of twisting my ankle again on the muddy muddy course kinda came to reality. But I didn't actually sprain my ankle, I lost my footing on a downhill and slid. Unfortunately my left foot went under me and aggravated the tendon at the back of my ankle. Joy...why couldn't it be the other foot?! I kept moving, slow and steady. There were still people behind me. I was very happy when I came out of the woods and my sweet cousin Allison was there waiting and ran the last little hill with me. I was happy to be done, proud of finishing. A lot of obstacles that day (and in the previous week or so) for me but I finished. =) Unfortunately, they ran out of finisher medals so they said they would try to order me one. We DID however get awesome sweatshirts as part of our race swag. On our way home, we got an email that race results were posted. It was then that I found out that I was the LAST official finisher. I guess the others quit at some point or bailed to a shorter distance. My goal was 3 hours (I thought that was doable) but I ended up at 3:49:17 (avg 17:38/mile) and 258th place. There were 25 people who either didn't start or didn't finish. As the boys know, Dead Last is better than DNF (did not finish) which is better than DNS (did not start). I love trail running and really miss it. I made the lottery for the Uwharrie 20 miler in a few weeks but that is a much harder trail and after running scared today, I think I'm going to have to pull out of the race. (insert tears and sad face here) I know it's for the best but I hate to NOT do something I committed to. Anyway.....the race was fun and Tim & I both finished our respective runs! 
 Pre-race. Me & My Man. 

While Tim & I were at the race, the boys had a fun day with Grandma & Grandpa C at the farm. Cousin Connor came over to play and they had a ball. It is so fun watching all the little boys together. And apparently, in all this, Billy & Niki bought a new Jeep! Four door vehicle....hello being a grown up and having a family vehicle. =) 

Love this picture!!

We got home at a decent time last night and today was a semi-calm, normal day. We went to church this morning and then Eli went to his buddy Zach's house to play and watch the football game. Cole and I played Legos and then we were all back together before bedtime. 

Whew....I'm tired just thinking about our week! On to the next one...School and work, bright and early Monday morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment