Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween - Ninja Style!

Before I start, I must confess.....this was not a Hallmark Halloween. There was a lot of whining and tears and not as much trick or treating as I had hoped but we made it. The boys seemed to have fun (for the most part) and were happy at the end of the night so I guess it was a success!

So the story.....I thought it would be fun for all of us to go to Trunk or Treat / Halloween carnival at our church. I didn't take into account how exhausted Eli would be. There was no school today so Eli spent the day at the Y. And a day at the Y is some serious playing! He came home tired and that did not bode well for getting out the door. Add to that that Cole lost his Ninja mask part of his costume and cried while we looked for it for an hour, I was not optimistic about the evening. Since we had planned to be at church, I donated candy there and didn't have any at home. Well, looking for Cole's mask, we were much later than planned getting out the door so trick or treaters started coming to our house. Uh-oh!! I tried to ignore the doorbell but Eli and Cole were at the door saying "Mommy, somebody's ringing the bell" and "Somebody's at the door." Argh! I had nothing to give them so I didn't answer the door. I felt terrible. Will not make that mistake again next year! 

We finally got out the door and to church. The boys were ok to start, lots of trunks to trick-or-treat from. Cole was totally into it. Eli lasted a few vehicles and was ready to go home. He was tired and ready to be done and back home. We made it a little longer and then headed back to our neighborhood. Once home, we went to our next door neighbor's house (a MUST do each year) and one other neighbor and were done. The boys didn't get that much candy but they were thrilled with what they did get and of course, like all kids, dumped it on the floor to compare when they got home. 

All in all, the boys had fun and loved being Ninjas for the night. I definitely learned a lesson not to over plan and stay close to home. Next year, trick-or-treating in the neighborhood! 

Eli the White Ninja
My little Ninja boys (notice Cole doesn't have his mask). I was happy with how their costumes turned out. 
Aaahh, getting the goods
Look what I got!
Trunk or Treat
At Ms. Amy's house
Checking out their candy loot - Eli then grouped his candy by type. Hilarious! Just like his Momma!!
Cole the Red Ninja!

No comments:

Post a Comment