Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcoming 2010

We had a great day today welcoming in the new year - starting with a hike at Umstead. We let Eli walk as long as he wanted to and then Tim carried him in the back pack. Cole was "Ergo"d to me the entire time. We had fun looking at rocks, trees, roots, trail markers and just being outside. Eli probably hiked 3/4 mile and wore his camelback the entire time. When he got tired, he told Tim that he was ready to ride and that he needed to stop to pick him up - it was pretty funny. Cole enjoyed his first hike at Umstead, so much that he dozed for most of it!

Ready to hit the trail
Cole snuggled and so excited (can't you tell) for his first hike
Navigating lots of slippery roots Eli held my hand
How did he get so big?!
Look at my rock, Mommy
He went at his own pace
Mommy, Cole, Eli and, of course, Lightning McQueen (who rode in Eli's backpack)
Happy to be riding
Our best attempt at a family picture
See how much Cole enjoyed the hike
Tim's got quite a load - Sherpa Daddy
I was quite impressed that Eli identified this tree, out of the blue, as a triangle
Such a happy trail marker!
When we got back to the parking lot, Eli wanted to call Pop-Pop
Post hike snack time

I also welcomed 2010 with a baking experiment. I have wanted to make bread for a long time so, using a cookbook that Tim gave me for Christmas, I made a whole wheat sandwich loaf. It was totally new to me but ended up being pretty easy and fun. Waiting and watching the dough rise (twice!) - I was like a little kid so proud of her creation. The whole house smelled yummy of fresh bread. After we put the boys to bed, Tim & I got a chance to sample it and it tasted just as good as it smelled. Definitely a repeat!!

Recipe, ingredients measured out, ready to go
My little helper during the mixing phase
The 2nd rising
Finished product - yummmmmm

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Love the bread! Isn't it so much fun to bake bread!? Love the pics of you guys hiking too. Looks like it was a blast.

    ReplyDelete