Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Coming out the other side......maybe......hopefully

It has been a rough week around here but I'm very hopeful that we're coming out the other side of it. Whew....let me see if I can accurately recap.

Friday: I stayed home with Cole and Eli was ok to go to school. Tim came home early so I could go to Eli's school Christmas party. Santa stopped by school in the morning and they had parties in the afternoon. Then after I got home, Cole's fever spiked so we ended up on the phone with the nurses. They told us to wait 48 hours (Sat morning) for his new antibiotic to kick in. It was another rough night.

Saturday: Eli & I made chocolate chip cookies. It's so funny that now he can tell you almost every ingredient to make cookies. How many 2 year olds can recite a cookie recipe? Only the cookie monster ones!! The rest of the day was uneventful until the night time. Eli started going downhill and his fever crept up. By 9pm, he was over 104 and croupy coughing. I called our neighbor Amy for expert guidance. We called the doctor's office again and the nurse called us back. She gave me all the usual croup instructions (steamy shower, fluids, etc) and we were alone for the night. I slept in the playroom with Eli while Tim dealt with Cole. It was a very scary night because his fever was just so high. He woke up about every half hour asking for something to drink but that was it for food or drink.

Sunday: Cole seemed to be doing ok (still fussier and needier than usual) and Eli was somewhat better but still had a bad cough and wheeze. In the morning, we made some doggie treats (again staying busy with baking!) and then Tim took Eli back to the doctor. They checked him out and then sent him for chest x-rays. Fortunately there was no pneumonia but a lot of goop. This was also the day that I decided to change Cole's name to "Joey" because he thought he was a baby kangaroo and had to be constantly attached to me. This night I slept in Eli's room with him and Tim slept in the play room with Cole.

Monday: Eli stayed home with Tim because he still had big fevers Sunday night. Cole went to school and I went to work. Monday night was hard (again) and I can't remember if we slept in our own bed at all.

Tuesday: Eli stayed home again with Tim after more fever Monday night, Cole went to school and I went to work. Tim called the doctor again about Eli and she was concerned that his temp was still as high (104-105). She made us an appt for Wed.

Wednesday: Tim went to work, Cole to school and Eli & I stayed home. Doctor's appointment revealed that he now has double ear infections so he's on the same antibiotic that Cole is on - just a higher strength. I'm so hopeful that this will help and get us past this yucky phase.

Tomorrow I'll be home with both boys while Tim has to work until lunch. Hopefully they'll sleep better tonight and be good for me tomorrow. It would also be nice if we could sleep in our own bed - we've only been there about 2 or 3 hours since last week. I must say that I wasn't sure I would make it through their double sickness without losing my sanity but now that I can see some daylight, I'm doing much better. I can't think of much more stressful than sick kids and when you add work, daily stuff and the holidays with expected visitors, it's even more so. Grandparents are all coming tomorrow so I'm hopeful that the boys will be better and that the extra hands will give us a break.

Now, of course, some photos...

Eli's school Christmas party
He was so happy when I showed up (and so was I, I loved being there)
Ms Jessica - one of Eli's teachers
He shut the table down - last one eating
A little snow Friday night
Saturday morning - he decided the bowl was a helmet
Working on a puzzle with Daddy
Making Christmas treats for Belle
Belle's going to be so happy with all these treats
Pitiful little boy on Sunday morning
Watching 'Cars' with Mommy
Cole spent a lot of time in the bean bag chair. This is from his video monitor - we put the bean bag in his crib. I know it's not AAP approved but hey, it worked for us that night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment