Monday, January 19, 2009

Life as a Yo-Yo

Whew, life feels like such a yo-yo right now. Have you ever felt that way? You feel like you're at the end of the string and then, boing you bounce back, even just slightly. There's so much going on right now that it's hard to process it all. There's the "virus" issue with Eli, a busy work schedule and changes there, Eli's school had a sprinkler line burst (so even if he had been up to it, he couldn't have gone to school today), other family things that I won't mention here, our house project starting up and oh yeah, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm 15 weeks pregnant!

So to Eli.....he had a better night last night. He slept in the bed with me waking often but always in good spirits asking for a drink and then drifting in and out of sleep. No serious crying or pain just awake a lot. I did try to keep the Tylenol flowing per doc's recommendations. This morning, tired and going down the yo-yo string, I caught a glimpse of my sweet happy boy. We had about 2 hours of happy time. He was walking around (which he hasn't really done since Sat) and talking to me. But close to the 2 hour mark, he fell completely apart and cried for hours.....non-stop. I'm not talking about a screaming crying fit, I'm talking about a painful wail that makes your heart break. The fever started going up again to 102. When Tim called at lunch time, he could tell that I was having a hard time (I did really good with my patience but emotionally I was breaking down, I cried some with Eli b/c I hated to see him hurt) so he came home early to give me a break. I called the nurse line at the doc's office since he seemed to be doing worse and they set him up for a 4pm appt. I decided not to give him his 2pm dose of Tylenol (oh yeah, he did throw up a bit on me today too - the fun eh?!) and after talking to the nurse, I gave him Motrin. From 3p-5p, we had a totally different happy boy. I swear I felt like an idiot at the doc's office. The doctor appt revealed nothing new but it did confirm that ear infections have not developed - we were told that that could happen starting the drops. Once we got home, Eli started getting into his fussy mood. His temp climbed again - this time to 104. More rest and he seemed to get out of that funk. We finally did get him to eat some goldfish crackers about an hour ago (he hasn't really eaten much since lunch on Sat which concerns me but doc said is ok) and then bath time. Tim is putting him to bed now and we're hoping (fingers crossed tight) that he'll sleep some in his own bed tonight. Doc said that viruses can last 3-5 days so we hope that we're almost out of the woods on this one. I do hope that he feels better tomorrow as Tim will be staying home with him and I'd like for them to have a good day together.

So my yo-yo thing with Eli, just as I was falling apart inside and feeling so bad for him, he showed us his normal self just for a bit to make us smile and laugh and know that he's still our sweet happy boy.


As for me, I go back to the doctor to check on Baby #2 in the morning. Funny story - it was on 1/18/07 that we went for our first ultrasound with Eli and it snowed that day. From the news, it sounds like it may be snowing tomorrow when I go - not the exact day but close enough to remember back. I'm looking forward to hearing that little heartbeat and knowing that all is ok. I'm not feeling baby kick yet so I look forward to these appointments. Then next Friday - the 30th - we answer the boy / girl question! We'll keep you posted.

Yo yo boy 1 - feeling crummy
Yo yo boy 2 - maybe an hour later with much more energy and happy

No comments:

Post a Comment