Sunday, February 12, 2017

Week Six: 2/6-2/12

Oh goodness, what a week. Started the week off visiting my Dad in the hospital and ended with Cole having the flu and a swim meet. Phew! 

MONDAY: I went down to Matthews to see my Dad in the ICU. He was admitted last Tuesday and thankfully is doing better. Unfortunately Monday was also my parents' 36th wedding anniversary. Nothing like spending it in ICU. It was great to see my Dad and see that he's doing better. I didn't realize how bad it was last week when he was admitted but the first night he had his own dedicated nurse. Yikes! Thankfully he made it through that night and has made it through more. A long way to go but he's getting better every day. A doctor came in while I was there and the nurses were in quite a few times and man, they're taking GREAT care of him! They were also so sweet to give my parents a little treat for their anniversary. They made signs and had the kitchen make them a cake. So thoughtful! 
 So nice!

 Mom even fed Dad a little cake. 
 I LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture. It cracks me up. You can tell how thrilled my Dad is to be in the hospital but it shows he's still got his sense of humor. 
 Love my parents! 
 Selfie time! Dad was trying to wave. Showed this one to the boys. They were glad to see Grandpa doing better. 

Monday night when I got back, Cole said his arms and legs were hurting. I assumed it was growing pains and gave him some Tylenol. Nope....poor fella, he was sick. He woke up Tuesday not feeling well so I kept him home. And then again Wednesday....and Thursday.....and Friday! Eli & Cole are not ones to miss school and I think Cole missed more this week than they have their entire school years combined! I didn't take Cole to the doctor but I think it was the flue. Based on things I heard from parent friends whose kids were diagnosed, Cole had the same symptoms. I also heard it was going around and usually we're spared but I think it got us this year. Cole would have a fever and then it would go away and then it would come back. It was weird. He took naps every day and pretty much just laid on the couch. He also missed swim practices which is huge - he loves to go and swim with his buddies. 
Tuesday afternoon nap
Tuesday afternoon carpool - we made the jump to carpool and today was our first day. I'm optimistic that it will make our afternoons/evenings easier and allow the boys to get homework done before Tim gets home from work. We'll also be able to get food in them before swim practice. I'm also very glad because there have been a few after school incidents and now we don't have to worry about those. =) 
 Wednesday morning couch position - a nap was had on the couch too. 
Thursday I started painting the den upstairs to match the rest of the house. Found a great neutral grayish color that reads on the gray or tan side depending on lighting. This room is in dire need of being "finished" and I need to get it that way to set up an office in there. Over the course of the week, I got all the walls painted and am almost finished with the trim. Much brighter now!
Hanging with Cole, I've had time to read and this was a good one this week. It's in the 500-page range but I got through it quickly. Now I need to find another good book to read. This was #9 so far in 2017!! 
And funny, this kinda looks like the book cover. I textedthis picture to Tim and told him about my constant battle with Cole to take medicine. And oh, it was a battle. Every day. Every night. We were just trying to help some of the symptoms and get him past it but you would have thought I was strangling him. 
Friday was Cole at Home Day #4. I had found a Lemon Pound Bundt Cake recipe a while back that I wanted to try. Tim picked up the ingredients earlier in the week so I thought "Why not?! Let's bake a lemon bundt cake." Lots of fresh lemons. Yum. 
And it was good. So good. I only wish I would have zested in shorter pieces but it didn't bother me or Tim but the boys, not having it. More for us!! 

THE WEEKEND: The weekend included the MOR Short Course Qualifier Meet for Eli in Goldsboro. Tim & I talked about it and decided that it probably wasn't best for Cole to be sitting in the stands at the pool for 4+ hours each day so he & Cole stayed home. I don't think they did much and Eli & I were home around lunch each day. 
Saturday morning - early departure time. Eli was great and got up without much trouble. We had packed everything the night before so all we had to do was get in the truck and go. 
 Headed to Goldsboro! 
Short Course Qualifier - this is the last chance for swimmers to make the NC Age Group time cuts. The Age Group Championships are in 2 weeks. 
I officiated his session and it was crazy because I had to blow whistles! For those that aren't familiar, the official blowing whistles is telling the swimmers what to do and when. That person keeps the meet moving and also had to write down order of finish for each event. I was SO busy. Thankfully our Meet Referee was great at training me and I didn't do too bad. I don't think anyone knew it was my 1st time but it was stressful for me! 
Eli's events for Day 1 - he did great! He swims in the 10 and Under Boys Group. 

200 Free - 1st of ALL 10 & Under swimmers! He won by almost 10 seconds! Time - 2:36.61.
100 Back - 21st place overall. Not sure what happened. He added a little time. Time - 1:27.36
100 IM - 8th place overall. He was pretty much on his previous best time. Time - 1:23.81
50 Free - 8th place overall. Finally got under 33 seconds! Time - 32.88
He didn't make any Championship cuts for these events but next year.........
 Saturday on the way home. It was a little over an hour drive. He fell asleep hard. 
 Break time from backyard football with Daddy. 
As we were coming inside, we found this girl at the edge of the deck at the house. She may be the one we relocated last week. It was much warmer today and we weren't able to get her to relocate. She wiggled down under the deck and slithered away. 
 Garage Barbershop open for business. With a new addition - a barber's cape! 
 Made it so much easier and cleaner - no hair on the boys skin or clothes. 
I've been trying to clean out a bunch of old boxes of stuff and came across these two sweatshirts from my high school basketball days. What fun memories!! 
 I was #34. 
 Sunday morning - another early departure for me & Eli. 
On deck before warm ups.
Eli's events for Day 2. He was so funny - told me that the water was cold so he just pretended a shark was chasing him. Hilarious!! It was really cool that for 3 of his events, he swam in a lane beside his training buddy Collin. They push each other really well and it was exciting that they BOTH made the Champs time cut for the 100 freestyle! Now Eli will swim the 200 IM and the 100 Free in AG Champs. Fun!!

100 Free - 5th overall. Time - 1:10.79. Made the Champs time cut!!!
50 Fly - 6th overall. Time - 37.73. 
100 Breast - 5th overall. Time - 1:38.58.
50 Back - 22nd overall. Time - 41.06.

And pooped again from the swim meet. So proud of him. Our #1 goal is to not miss an event and he for the first time, I didn't have to worry about him. He paid attention and was always at his lane in plenty of time to not be rushed. It was a great meet! Next up Age Group Champs and then Tarheel States - for events he didn't qualify for AG Champs. And then, Long Course Season! 
Sunday we got back at lunch and it was too nice of a day to stay inside. Eli & Cole played football, hung out in the hammock and just goofed off. Tim went on a Daddy bike ride to Umstead. I think we all enjoyed the nice day! 

Hopefully we'll all be much healthier next week and get back to normal. Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment