Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mulch Madness, a sewing accident and the Race that wasn't

This weekend's excitement started early Saturday morning when a big dump truck arrived with some new playground mulch for the boys' swingset area. They loved seeing the truck and then helping move the mulch in place (and driving their own dump trucks all over it). Shortly after the mulch arrived, Ryan and Carol came over the hang out and play for a bit. The boys all had fun, played their hearts out and were able to have lunch together. At Cole's nap time, Eli & I ran to pick up my race packet for the triathlon I was to do on Sunday morning. We picked up my numbers, shirt and then drove the bike course so I could see what was in store. Once we got home, I started back working on their Halloween costumes. About 5:30pm, I somehow sewed my index finger on my left hand. At first, it just hurt and was bleeding (thankfully I didn't say any bad words with the kids around). Then I realized that there was a hard spot and when Tim checked my sewing machine, part of the needle was missing so it was obviously in my finger. NOT on the plan for Saturday night. I started looking up Urgent Cares and finally found one open until 8pm so off I went with an ice pack on my hand. I felt so stupid but that's why it's called an accident. Anyway, at Urgent Care they took an x-ray to get an idea where it was and how much. The doc felt confident she could get it but left it up to me - it was either let her try or go see a hand surgeon on Monday (a HAND SURGEON - Oh my gosh!!). Of course, I let her go for it. It didn't take long and she pulled out a 1cm piece of needle. Could not believe it. Apparently when it went in my finger, it hit the bone, broke and stayed in there sideways. After that, it was off to get my pain meds and back home. Doc advised that I not do the triathlon due to the swim portion and possible infection. I took that as God's sign to me that I didn't need to be racing so I heeded the advice and stayed home with Tim & the boys. It was odd because it was my first DNS (Did Not Start) ever.

Today miraculously we all slept in. Granted, Tim & I were each upstairs in bed with a kid but we managed to sleep until after 7am. Had I been racing, I would have left the house about 6:15am. After some hang out/read the newspaper/watch cartoons time, the boys & I walked to the school playground to play while Tim went on a bike ride. After lunch, I went to see our friends Mike & Mary and help sort through baby clothes and help them get ready for their daughter that will be here in less than a month!!

Tonight the boys were super crazy but we finally got them to bed. Cole has been acting more like his cute happy self which is great because he has been off since he was sick. Eli just gets bigger and smarter before my eyes. Last night, at bedtime, Tim told me that Eli said a prayer for my hurt finger. That made my heart so happy. He's such a sweet boy! We're trying to mentally psyche ourselves up for another week. Eli will be happy to get back to school tomorrow because he has been blankie-less all weekend, apparently leaving it there on Friday. We really did have a great weekend. For the next two weekends, we have Grandparents coming to visit - YAY!

Driving to the top of Mulch Mountain
Cutie Patootie Cole
Big Boy Eli
The boys tried taking some mulch in their dump trucks. Daddy was much more effective with his cart.
Brothers
Boys and their dump trucks.
Daddy and his fan club
Lots of work
Cole-Man
Eli helping
Needle in finger - not good.
My numbers from the Race that Wasn't.
Being this cool.....
Eli & Cole always enjoy running over the wobbly "bridge"
Cole is getting much better at it.
Hi Mommy!
Cone-head Eli. He thought he was quite funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment