Monday, November 10, 2008

Ironman World Championship 70.3

This weekend was such a treat for me. I went to Clearwater, Florida for the Ironman World Championship 70.3. I left Thursday around lunch to fly down to meet my friends Holly & Cary. Holly came from Vermont and Cary was there from Colorado. Cary had qualified for the race by her place in another Half Ironman and we were so excited to be there to cheer her on in the World Championship.

Thursday night we went for dinner in Ybor City. Friday, Cary had athlete stuff to do so Holly & I enjoyed ourselves. We went for a walk / rollerblade (Holly on rollerblades not me) after breakfast. Then some lounging by the pool reading a book. Lunch and then more time on the beach and by the pool. It was so gorgeous that I hated to be in the hotel room at all! Friday evening we had pizza at a great little spot and then it was early bedtime because Saturday was race day. Saturday started at 3:30am. We dropped Cary off at the race venue at 5am, grabbed us some breakfast and then walked the 30 minute walk back to the venue. The race was so much fun to watch. While waiting for Cary to finish the swim, we were able to see Team Hoyt finishing the swim. I don't know if many of you have heard of them but I have seen them featured many times on tv and to see them in action in person was absolutely amazing. I got chills and teared up when they passed me. Cary had a great day and met all of her goals. We were so proud of her. There were so many fit people racing and I was amazed at their abilities. The winning guy was 3 hours, 40 minutes - for a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run!! Being around the event was just so much fun. It'll be on tv April 12, 2009 so I hope I remember to dvr it!

Saturday evening we went out for a nice celebratory dinner and then an early bed. Sunday we got up, had breakfast and went for a walk again before having to leave for the airport. Now, I must say that my flights to Florida and home were exciting as I almost missed connections each way due to delays. I just had to run through terminals like a crazy woman!

Tim & Eli seemed happy to see me when I got home. I don't have pictures of their weekend but I understand they had a good weekend with Grandma & Grandpa N - they came to give Tim some help this weekend (THANK YOU!).

It was a great weekend with the girls and a much needed vacation away. I was able to truly relax and enjoy my friends. Thanks Cary & Holly for a fun time!


Sand sculpture at the venue

Cary's group starting the swim - they did waves here instead of one mass start

Team Hoyt

Finishing the swim
Headed out on the run
Almost to the finish line
Post race

Sunday morning - who says you can't maintain long distance friendships?

No comments:

Post a Comment