Sunday, January 22, 2017

Week Three: 1/16-1/22

January is flying by! Just one full week left and then it's February. The older the boys get (and the older we get), time just goes faster and faster. This week had a lot going on. Let's see what we were up to:

Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day and the boys were out of school. Cole went over to his buddy Luke's house for most of the day (and apparently got to go through is first drive through car wash - fun stuff!!). Eli & I pal'd around and ran some errands. He got new shoes and then we stopped in Target to let him spend some of his birthday gift cards - yes from August. He wanted to get a Nerf Vortex football. The boys love football and do so well outside playing and catching. 
I finished reading 'It Ends with Us" - it was really good. My 5th book so far of 2017! 
Happy with two new pairs of sneakers
While cleaning up, I found these two Regal Movie Gift cards. Checked them and they each still have $10 on them - SCORE!! 


Tuesday morning, while getting ready for school, the boys cracked me up. I went into the bathroom to make sure they were brushing their teeth. Turns out they were timing each other's morning poops. Yes. Eli was proud of his being 44:19, Cole was 1:19. No idea why they decided to time each other (yes I do, they're boy!!); it was so hilarious. 

Wednesday was apparently Red Day. The boys both dressed in Red and Cole wore his new Red, White and Blue shoes that arrived on Tuesday. Eli decided to dress in color themes this week - Blue, Red, Black and All American (red, white and blue). Wednesday night, Eli had swim so Cole and I got a chance to pal around and go to Target so he could spend a Christmas gift card. He, of course, opted for Legos. =) 
Cole's 2nd pair of shoes came in. They're fitting for Mr. Red, White & Blue
Red Day. This week Eli dressed in a different theme - Red on Tuesday, 
Red Shoes
Eli's class is doing a Live Wax Museum next week. He's Ulysses S. Grant so I'm going to attempt to make this costume. Wish me luck! 
Wednesday's grocery store run - four gallons of milk is the NORM! 
Decisions. Decisions. What to pick.....
Cole was super excited that he got the Batman mini-figure he wanted on his first mini-figure pick. 
Putting together his two little Super Hero cars - I love this boy! 
Read this book this week. Tim & I have been watching her show on A&E about the abuses of Scientology and people who have left the "church". It is beyond crazy. No idea how in the world people can get sucked into this. It's all just so unbelievable. 
Thursday I ventured to JoAnn's to find felt to make Ulysses S. Grant and stumbled upon this gorgeous fabric. I couldn't leave the store with out it. Planning to use it for our kitchen window. It has so many fun happy colors. 


Friday was Eli's red, white and blue day. He didn't realize it but it was very appropriate since Donald Trump was inaugurated as the 45th President. The Inauguration is such big pomp and circumstance. Wow. I watched some of it and the history and ceremony is pretty spectacular. 



Trying to figure out how to make this soldier jacket
A start  =)
Eli's Friday night swim practice. I love how swim gives the boys exercise and structure. 


Saturday and Sunday were busy - swim meets for both boys. Cole had the 8 and Under SnowFlake meet and Eli had Distance Day. Cole got to be a part of his first relay on Saturday and it was so much fun. It was the 100 yard freestyle relay and he got to lead off - his relay team's entry time was 11th place and they finished in 8th place, 10 seconds faster. Yay for improvement!! I officiated both days (five sessions, close to 13 hours on deck and was tired when it was over!). It was so much fun watching the boys and all of the kids. I love it all!! 
SNOWflake WARS. Such a great shirt!
Back side. "In a swimming pool not so far away there were 8-unders who ruled the pool. Armed with suits and goggles they took over the pool and destroyed their times. This is where the story begins," LOVE IT!! 
Coach Courtney as the Snow Queen
Cole and his best swim bud Grayson before the meet
Saturday's events - 25 free, 25 back, 25 breast, 100 IM. I didn't know about the relay. 
Go Cole!! 

Cole has gotten really good with his "track starts". I think he feels like a "real" swimmer. 

25 freestyle - Cole's in Lane 6 at the top of the picture. Notice Eli & I also there. =) TIME 20.89
25 Backstroke - TIME 25.26
25 Breaststroke - he's such a good breaststroker - TIME 30.88
100 IM - Fly leg
Backstroke leg
Butterfly leg
Freestyle leg to finish it off - GREAT JOB COLE!!! 100 IM TIME - 2:14.65


Distance Day for Eli was after the girls and boys sessions for 8&U on Saturday. He only had one event - the 500 freestyle. He had never done that distance so he was excited and a little nervous at the same time. In these longer events, you have to provide your own lap counter and timer. I was worried about that since I was officiating. Thankfully they had timers and Eli wanted Daddy to count laps. He had the option of having a friend/teammate do it but he wanted Daddy. I love that! In freestyle, Officials only have to watch to make sure the kids touch the wall at the turns and it takes fewer officials so I was able to sit on the side and watch Eli's swim. He was in Lane 6 and Coach Courtney was on his side of the pool cheering and coaching him. He seemed to be doing pretty well. She commented to me after half way that he was still pushing off the wall strong and doing two dolphin kicks before coming up for air (I can't do that!). He finished in 6:38.13 - less than one second off an "A" time! When he finished, for the first time ever, Coach Billy yelled at him from across the pool and told him that he had a Great Swim. Eli was BEAMING!! He was so proud of himself. He was almost 37 seconds faster than his entry time and finished faster than Coach Billy thought he could do. He almost won his heat, finishing 2nd just 1/4 second behind and he was the fastest 9 year old. He's building such a strong foundation; maybe he's meant to be a distance swimmer? He woke up Sunday morning still talking about it. So glad it went well for him. 
500 yards?! 


Daddy the lap counter


Sunday....Day 2 for Cole. Today was longer events - 50 free, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 fly. Cole did so great. He improved again in almost every stroke and had a good day. Unfortunately his Momma DQ'd him in the 50 Fly for alternating kicks off the wall instead of butterfly kick but he wasn't phased. I didn't want to tell him but late this afternoon he asked me if he got DQ'd for anything. When I explained he did and what it was for, he just gave me a hug. Thankfully he wasn't mad at me. Just gotta do my job. =) I am so proud of him for being able to do these longer events!!!  And even more proud that he made it to all his events, didn't miss a single one. That's a win! 
Today's lineup

Take your mark.....
50 Free - TIME 49.55. I think he can beat me now! 
Backstroke start

Backstroke - TIME 1:01.02
Breaststroke - TIME 1:07.36

So now it should be no surprise that this Momma is TIRED! It was a busy fun weekend and I'm so proud of Cole & Eli. Swim meets are always so much fun and so exhausting. The week ahead is a full school week (1st one of the year!) and we have Ulysses S. Grant and Cole's Pinewood Derby to look forward to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment